third call: NomCom 2014-2015 Call for Volunteers

2014-06-16 09:33:44

This is the third call for volunteers.
VOLUNTEER NOW: we need to make 200.
The DEADLINE is June 26 to volunteer.

The IETF nomcom appoints folks to fill the open slots on the IAOC, the IAB,
and the IESG (including IETF Chair).

If your name is on the below, then you have volunteered and are qualified.
In addition to those who volunteered by email, it also includes those who
indicated their willingness to serve on the IETF90 registration form, and
whose eligibility has been confirmed.  54 people were confirmed to be
eligible, and 70 people were not confirmed based upon the email they have
used to register.   Those 124 people have been contacted directly.

If you have heard from me, but are not on the list, then there is some
problem, and you should have gotten a query from me to determine your
eligibility.

If you have volunteered and not heard from him, then please resend;
it got lost.

Ten voting members for the nomcom are selected in a verifiably random
way from a pool of volunteers. The more volunteers, the better chance we have
of choosing a random yet representative cross section of the IETF population.

Let's break the 200 volunteer mark again this year!
We are at 123 volunteers so far, and WE NEED TO HAVE 200!!!

The details of the operation of the nomcom can be found in RFC 3777,
and BCP10/RFC3797 details the selection algorithm.

Volunteers must have attended 3 of the past 5 IETF meetings.  As specified in
RFC 3777, that means three out of the five past meetings up to the time this
email announcement goes out to start the solicitation of volunteers.
The five meetings out of which you must have attended *three*
are IETF 85(Atlanta),      \
         86(Orlando),       \
         87(Berlin),         *** ANY THREE!
         88(Vancouver),     /
         89(London)        /

If you qualify, please volunteer.   However, much as we want this, before you
decide to volunteer, please be sure you are willing to forgo appointment
to any of the positions for which this nomcom is responsible.

The list of people and posts whose terms end with the March 2015 IETF
meeting, and thus the positions for which this nomcom is responsible, are

IAOC:
To be confirmed

IAB:
Joel Halpern
Russ Housley
Eliot Lear
Xing Li
Andrew Sullivan
Dave Thaler

IESG:
Pete Resnick (Applications)
Ted Lemon (Internet)
Joel Jaeggli (Operations and Management)
Richard Barnes (RAI)
Adrian Farrel* (Routing)
Stephen Farrell (Security)
Spencer Dawkins (Transport)
Jari Arkko (Gen)

(names with * have publically indicated they will not serve another term)

The primary activity for this nomcom will begin in July 2014 and should be
completed in January 2015.   The nomcom will have regularly scheduled
conference calls to ensure progress. (We might dogfood WebRTC)
There will be activities to collect requirements from the community, review
candidate questionnaires, review feedback from community members about
candidates, and talk to candidates.

Thus, being a nomcom member does require some time commitment; but it is also
a very rewarding experience.

It is very important that you be able to attend IETF91 to conduct interviews.
Being at IETF90 is useful for training.  Being at IETF92 is not essential.

Please volunteer by sending me an email before 11:59 pm EDT (UTC -4 hours)
June 22, 2013, as follows:

To: nomcom-chair-2014(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Nomcom 2014-15 Volunteer

Please include the following 4 lines the email body (it is simplest
if you just include the info);

Your Full Name
Emails used to register
Telephone
Current Primary Affiliation

You should expect an email response from me within 3 business days stating
whether or not you are qualified.  If you don't receive this response,
please re-send your email with the tag "RESEND"" added to the subject line.

If you are not yet sure if you would like to volunteer, please consider
that nomcom members play a very important role in shaping the leadership
of the IETF.  Questions by email or voice are welcome.
Volunteering for the nomcom is a great way to contribute to the IETF!

You can find a detailed timeline on the nomcom web site at:
    https://datatracker.ietf.org/nomcom/2014/

I will be publishing a more detailed target timetable, as well as details
of the randomness seeds to be used for the RFC 3797 selection process,
within the next couple weeks.

Thank you!
Michael Richardson
mcr+nomcom(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca