Re: not really to do with Re: WG Review: Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting & Conformance (dmarc)

2014-07-16 00:32:12
On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 03:39:49AM -0000, John Levine wrote:
Is there quantitative evidence that preventing spoofing of the
"From" address reduces the efficacy of phishing?

According to people I've talked to at large mail providers, apparently
so.  DMARC blocks a lot of mail that is clearly phish.

That's not the question I'm asking.  Spamhaus RBLs, also block lots
of mail that is phish.  The real question is whether the incidence
of successful phishing attacks is reduced.

I would have thought that phishers would use any of the bazillion
obvious ways to circumvent DMARC, but they must be as lazy as anyone
else.

Which means that perhaps they don't need to bother, because they
are getting sufficient response rates?

--
        Viktor.