RE: [dtn-interest] DTNWG proposal is a terribly bad idea

2014-07-23 12:57:47
Cage match?

Maybe best to take further personal views exchange offline.

Best,

Tom Chaffee

From: dtn-interest [mailto:dtn-interest-bounces(_at_)irtf(_dot_)org] On Behalf
Of
l(_dot_)wood(_at_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:40 AM
To: eric(_dot_)dot(_dot_)travis(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com
Cc: iab(_at_)iab(_dot_)org; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
dtn(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
dtn-interest(_at_)irtf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] DTNWG proposal is a terribly bad idea

Lloyd,

Why do you continue to expend so much time and effort

on something you claim to be fundamentally broken?

Wouldn't you make more productive use of that time

working on a design for a Perpetual Motion Machine?

Hi Eric,

that's a really interesting analogy, and an interesting

question.

I'd argue that, in ignoring the ramifications of the

end-to-end principle, the effects of errors, and needing

synchronized clocks, that the Bundle Protocol fundamentally

ignores entropy. As such, the Bundle Protocol IS designed as

a perpetual motion machine, and the only reason it works is

that other things are handling that pesky entropy for it -

adjusting clocks, catching errors, and the like. Rather like a

perpetual motion machine getting some helpful inputs of

energy to stay "perpetual" and seemingly violate the second

law of thermodynamics, neglecting entropy.

(Hello, Steorn's Orbo and its helpful battery.)

And as someone with a basic grasp of physics,

it is my responsibility -- nay, my duty -- to point out that

perpetual motion machines don't work very well in reality.

Which has entropy.

And DTN scenarios have _lots_ of entropy,

unlike the pristine computer science environments the

protocol was conceived in.

So, the Bundle Protocol IS the design for the perpetual motion

machine that I keep discussing. We have come full circle,

rather like said machine is supposed to do.

Note that I discuss the protocol machine, rather than the people

behind it. The rest of your email is rather ad hominem.

I can't claim to be the smartest guy in the room, not least because

I don't get invited into those meeting rooms these days.

(I left that 2001 meeting early, and stayed distant.)

You complain, however, that I'm just not

charming enough to the Perpetual Motion Squad and the

pictures of that machine in their wallets while explaining

basic physics so that they can build a slightly less broken

perpetual motion machine, and that we've given up on

tinkering with the design of their perpetual motion

machine for them. That's a fair call. Discussion of basic

reliability becoming toxic was not entirely my doing

- again, a fair call. I don't believe error detection is
taught in enough computing courses...

The conclusions section of "A Bundle of Problems"

was charming enough in laying out our intent, I thought.

But then the perpetual motion analogy and recognition of

ultimate futility hadn't yet occurred to us.

And that nicely summarises my unease with the Bundle

Protocol technically (I've covered procedural unease

in earlier emails), and why I believe a standards-track effort

for it is unwarranted.

Thanks for the perpetual insight.

Lloyd Wood
http://sat-net.com/L.Wood/dtn/