Re: OpenSource vs. IETF Standards

2014-07-31 15:51:41
we will now enter the realm of word definitions.  An IETF Standard is any
document published by the IETF.  Standards come in a range of attire, full
standards (rare), proposed, informational, historic and a few others.

As you properly have tabled, some of these IETF standards are subject to IPR
claims, which the IETF mgmt and its sponsoring organization have prudently
recognized.  Publication of such material,
encumbered by Intellectual Property Rights, clearly suggests that the IETF
standard in question can not, in fact, be represented in open source without
violation of IP laws.

Codec and Crypto specs tend to be owned.

then there is this from ISOC in 2003:
www.isoc.org/briefings/014/briefing14.pdf
which suggests that, “Mobile IPv4 NAT-traversal protocol extension is specified
in
a separate RFC that is IPR-encumbered. “

I’ll leave the creation of the detailed list as a homework assignment.

/bill
Neca eos omnes.  Deus suos agnoscet.

On 31July2014Thursday, at 13:13, Brian E Carpenter