Re: OpenSource vs. IETF Standards

2014-08-01 03:22:08
On Fri 01/Aug/2014 06:02:08 +0200 Brian E Carpenter wrote:
On 01/08/2014 08:50, manning bill wrote:

As you properly have tabled, some of these IETF standards are
subject to IPR claims, which the IETF mgmt and its sponsoring
organization have prudently recognized.  Publication of such
material, encumbered by Intellectual Property Rights, clearly
suggests that the IETF standard in question can not, in fact, be
represented in open source without violation of IP laws.

Codec and Crypto specs tend to be owned.

If they are published as RFCs the boilerplate will indicate
rights; but watch out for the change of rules introduced by RFC5378.

Some organizations, e.g. FSF, actively campaign against patents.  OTOH,
most SDOs seem to act as mediators between patent owners and their
clients.  I wonder whether it is at all possible to stand somewhere in
between liberty and industrial support, rather than taking a firm stand
on either side.

Of course, it would be impressive if the IETF proclaimed its stand in
that respect.  RFC 5378 doesn't seem to promise such kind of statement,
and I'm unable to even imagine how on earth consensus could be achieved
on such topic...

Ale