Re: Fwd: OpenSource vs. IETF Standards

2014-08-03 14:10:18
-------- Original Message --------
Subject:      OpenSource vs. IETF Standards
Date:         Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:03:50 -0400
From:         Massimiliano Pala <director(_at_)openca(_dot_)org>
To:   ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

Dear IETF-ers,

At the last ietf (90), it was mentioned that extensive discussions about
the relationship between IETF standards and OpenSource have taken
place.. and I was wondering if anybody could point me to the archives of
that thread.

My CO-AD is on a well deserved vacation, however, it think that this is
probably in relations to ops area activities.

So, both the subsequent discussion and your question, seem to elide what
the discussion in the plenary, and in some working groups is really about.

The question at hand, in some working groups (netconf/netmod in
particular) is about development models and the way the the work is
organized. The current way of working that produces a yang model for
example in 3-5 years is at best, way too slow.

When we look at some opensource development models and proto or actuals
standards activities in use elsewhere we see room for improvement. this
involves:

        empowering them through the tooling used for document collaboration.

        focusing on shorter term goals associated with particular documents or
document sets

        not organizing the work around 3 meetings a year.

        not letting waterfall style development of problems/requirements get in
the way of
        work already being done where appropriate.

        pulling in new contributors

some work internal to the ops area to describe this problem which we
workshopped (largely written by Benoit) can be viewed here.

http://nagasaki.bogus.com/joelja/IETF-still-relevant-OPS-chairs.pdf

I am asking because I definitely do not agree with what has been said at
the meeting -

Not sure to what you are refering.

but I would like to understand the reasons for those
statements by reading about what was discussed.