Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-child-syncronization-02.txt> (Child To Parent Synchronization in DNS) to Proposed Standard

2014-08-09 02:08:57
In general I think this is good stuff, but I do not think the document can be
published yet. What I ask for I hope should be easy to fix though.

1. I see, specifically at the end, some confusion (I think) between use of
"parent" and "parental agent". I.e. I think the term "parent" is in use for
example when discussing out-of-balliwick NS records.

2. It is not described in detail enough how the actual queries should be sent,
and allowing the parental agent to do just however they want seems kind of
crazy. Either this is built upon the fact a direct query to a server is sent
(i.e. not only must the response be signed and validated, but also AA flag must
be set on the response) or not. If not, I want some discussion about caching
implications.

3. Regarding caching, I specifically want a scenario described when a zone is
moving from one DNS provider (one child) to another, and the loosing DNS
provider is not cooperating.

4. A step by step example of how a child is changing NS records

5. A step by step example of how a child is changing glue

6. A step by step example of how out-of-balliwick NS records are thought to be
treated (just saying they are problematic is not enough for me)

I.e. a lot of what I ask for is to clarify with examples a lot of the text
around 4.3. Having such text, together with a SHOULD and not MUST, will
definitely not lead to interoperability.

   Patrik