Re: [saag] What does DNSSec protect? (Re: Last Call: <draft-dukhovni-opportunistic-security-01.txt> (Opportunistic Security: some protection most of the time) to Informational RFC)

2014-08-10 14:37:34
Andrew,

Again, my point --and concern-- is not how DNSSEC works or the
statements we make about it when we are being careful.   It is
about people engaging in hyperbole of the nature of "you have
DNSSEC, now you are safe" (with the implication of "from all
sorts of attacks") or using other language that implies that the
threats that you (and John L.) have identified.

As an example, I've heard ISPs say things that a normal human
being would interpret as "now that we have DNSSEC at our DNS
servers, you are safe from phishing".  The reality, of course,
is that the trust relationships between my desktop (if it
doesn't do its own validation) and that ISP's forwarding DNS
server are, at best, complex (as others have pointed out as
well) and that most of the key issues in phishing have nothing
to do with anything DNSSEC addresses directly.   As you point
out, the protection gets stronger with out of bank knowledge of
the types you identify, but the typical user doesn't have that
knowledge, wouldn't know what to do with it if he or she did,
and, so on.  Most important, what they think the ISP is telling
them is "you are safe now" and not "this is one more tool that,
when added to others, caution, some skill, and good judgment,
will considerably increase your resistance to attacks".   The
latter is certainly true.  The former, at best, contributes to a
dangerous and false sense of security.

To summarize, I'm not concerned with the technology not working
as designed.  I'm concerned with a false advertising and
perception problem, whether that is intentional or just
carelessness.

   john

--On Sunday, August 10, 2014 14:18 -0400 Andrew Sullivan