Re: Protocol Design Pattern (was Re: [saag] Last Call: <draft-dukhovni-opportunistic-security-01.txt>)

2014-08-17 12:30:13
On Aug 17, 2014 10:58 AM, "Paul Wouters" <paul(_at_)nohats(_dot_)ca> wrote:

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014, Nico Williams wrote:

However a quick search on the term produced some troubling existing
usages that conflict with the usage in the draft:

Bikeshedding is what this is.

Except in this day, the bikeshed needn't have a name. Our products are
RFC numbers. As I said before, why define a term that we can't agree on?

Jonh Doe: this is a new utility shed design, it's highly portable and
variably sized.

Jane Doe: but the examples are kinda focused on bikes, and anyways, that's
what it's clearly designed around, so just call it a bikeshed.

John: but you could store lawnmowers, shovels, ..

Jane: your use of the term general utility is not really common place and
no one well understand it.

John: you're just bikeshedding!

Jane: see?  it's a bikeshed, and anyways, i don't care what color you paint
it, this is about the name of the thing.

:)

IMO it's bikeshedding the name.  We could be minting new words and it
wouldn't be a problem: because by giving them this meaning we'd overcome
the objection that until now they were meaningless.y

I assume there are no objections to the substance now.  Publish it!

Nico