Re: Flollow up from Admin Plenary

2014-08-19 20:09:27
On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 09:08:31PM +0000, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 08:49:41AM +1200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
"There should be one place to look at all comments during last
call for the draft editors, shepherds, and others."

This is the most important point you make. It doesn't actually need
to be fancy; it could be an enhancement of Tero Kivinen's review tool,
or an extension of the data tracker, with relevant emails captured of
course. It would greatly enhance the last call process.

A github for IETF drafts would substantially move us in that
direction.  In addition to tracking document revisions, github
supports in-line comments, pull requests, ...

+1.  Or any other git-based commercial repository service.  (Even a
Fossil-based one, but please, no SVN.)

This is actually something where the IAOC could negotiate some sort of
deal with such a provider, since it'd probably be a PR coup for them to
provide such services to the IETF, and we might get the provider to
build certain features for us at lower cost / in less time than we might
otherwise get.

Alternatively, if we're not willing to go down this route, then please
develop better VCS-based I-D and RFC diff tools.

In other words, a collaborative document editing system in addition
to the mailing list.

It would be nice if the document editing system were also able to
archive all mail messages pertaining to the review.  I don't think
that archiving of email messages and displaying email threads is
currently a feature of github.

My ideal:

 - git (or Fossil, but preferably git; not SVN)
 - ticket system (not required to be tied to one repo / doc)
 - wiki
 - comment/review system with mail gateway
 - plain text friendly
 - mail/comment archive, searchable, robot-friendly

Currently we cobble these things together haphazardly out of existing
services.  I don't mind different WGs doing it differently, but we might
benefit greatly from a better integrated option.

Nico