Re: Flollow up from Admin Plenary

2014-08-20 12:22:03

From: Walter Pienciak
<w(_dot_)pienciak(_at_)ieee(_dot_)org<mailto:w(_dot_)pienciak(_at_)ieee(_dot_)org>>
Date: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 at 5:49 PM
To: Kathleen Moriarty
<kathleen(_dot_)moriarty(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com<mailto:kathleen(_dot_)moriarty(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>>
Cc: IETF <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org<mailto:ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>>
Subject: Re: Flollow up from Admin Plenary

On a trivial level, software exists that can display e-mail list threads as
discussions in a forum, and vice versa, but the content is the same -- it's
simply the visual treatment that's changing, and the push/pull preference of
each individual user.

WG] +1
For example: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/nanog/users/ which is read
only but has nice formatting.

Or http://ietf.10.n7.nabble.com/IETF-IETF-f38488.html  that supports replies
and has examples from IETF lists.

While I can see the value of collaborative editing tools such as Git that
others have suggested, I think that only solves part of the problem (review and
collaboration for documents), and doesn't address our needs for discussion that
may not always be directly related to a given subsection of text in a draft.
I'd love for this sort of thing to be formally adopted by IETF  (rather than an
unofficial thing) thus making it a supported tool with an ietf-managed email
gateway that guarantees seamless discussion between email users and forum
users, since this type of forum reply has good handling for quoting a part of a
message inline and then replying to it, and generally bypasses a lot of the
formatting foibles present in email (e.g. Outlook not doing format=flowed,
people not making it clear which is their text and which is quoted for context,
plain-text vs html, mangled subject lines breaking sorts by thread, etc.).  Not
to mention it has good support for consumption via RSS, robust search, and
depending on the implementation, good methods to filter/mute/subscribe to
threads, good support for a profile that could be integrated into the author
information available in tools like Jari's authors reports, etc.
Perhaps the starting point is to identify a way to use this as a formal
experiment to determine if it has enough value to justify the added resources
IETF would need to manage it.

Thanks,

Wes George

Anything below this line has been added by my company’s mail server, I have no
control over it.
-----------

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.