Re: The IETF should run an IMAPS server for its lists

2014-08-30 10:58:42
This is good working within the established specs.

IMAP almost does what we need, but not quite. What we really need is a
mechanism that makes it really easy to add an IMAP mailing list
subscription into an email client or Webmail interface.

I am currently logged in to my gmail account reading the IETF
Discussion Mailing List.

Seems to me that if the mail messages come with a header that says
'available in IMAP form', then it would be really easy for Google to
offer me the choice of a one click subscription to access the IMAP
version.

This would save them about 7Gb of mail storage for me. Multiply over
the thousand members of the IETF and we have saved a whole hard drive.

Multiply over the population of Gmail users and we have saved:

* A huge amount of bandwidth.
* A huge amount of storage.
* A huge load on the spam filters and the worst of the corner cases.

Yes, it would probably take a little more than just a button. In
particular we have the issue that there is a mailing list account and
there is an email account and they both have credentials.

And it might just be that IMAP isn't the best mode for retrieval for
this use case. But this is the way to solve the problem long term.

We can even put JSON curly brackets and some crypto in place.

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Russ Housley