Re: The IETF should run an IMAPS server for its lists

2014-08-31 14:58:55
On Saturday, August 30, 2014, Phillip Hallam-Baker
<phill(_at_)hallambaker(_dot_)com>
wrote:
[...]

As far as storage dedup for a gmail-like service, they can (and do) already
do it.  As far as network dedup, yes this might help (depends, it might
not).

What we really need is MUA support for read-only IMAP, keeping
read/old/deleted/flagged/muted flags locally (but there's no need for
folders and filing).  Plus better caching.  Or an IMAP proxy that does the
same (which I desperately want for mutt, since it doesn't recover well from
servers closing their connections; the proxies I've used disconnect the
client when the server disconnects the proxy).

Each list could be a folder in the same service.

The service should support a public / anon login credential with email
addresses anonymized somewhat, or else don't anonymize at all.

BTW, I used to have a small script that restored the mailman "mbox"
archives into proper mbox format.  I left it behind at Sun^H^H^HOracle.
 What i mean is: a trivial transfromation of email addresses isn't terribly
good protection against spammers.  If s/[@]/ at /g is all we'll ever do
then we might as well use the identity function and stop making life
difficult for us non-spammers.

Nico