Re: draft discussion lists

2014-09-02 02:29:44
Hi Mike,

On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 01:58:53PM -0400, Michael StJohns wrote:
Part of the above is a desire to segment the conversations a bit more than
we're currently doing so as to reduce the noise level.

I actually don't think more segmentation will help.  First, my
experience is that the "noise" is not primarily because of drafts I
don't care about, but because of people who can't control their
logohhrea and who feel that "rough consensus" is approximately the
same thing as "I have shouted down everyone who disagrees with me."
(Indeed, in my experience, the number of noisy transmitters is really
quite small.  You probably have your own list.)

Second, I think that the IETF is already precariously over-segmented.
Way too little cross-review is happening, and the consequence is not
just that insights from people who might have something useful to say
is missed., We also fail to re-use techniques, and instead discover
the same problems over and over again.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com