Re: Consolidating BCP 10 (Operation of the NomCom)

2014-09-12 17:49:45
Murray,

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kucherawy-rfc3777bis/

Thank you very much for writing this.

I have reviewed the draft, with the main goal of checking that the material
from 3777 and other RFCs all came through. This was a bit tough, given the
amount of source RFCs and text re-organisation.

Here’s the plain comparison to the RFC
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kucherawy-rfc3777bis-00.txt

To ease my comparison, I also made a collection-of-RFCs vs. your draft
comparison:
http://www.arkko.com/ietf/gen/draft-kucherawy-rfc3777bis-00-from-rfc-3777-and-updates.diff.html
 I changed some of the formatting and aligned section numbering. Still,
formatting changes result in the diff highlighting some changes when there are
no changes. And I didn’t apply the changes from RFC 5078, but they are easy to
see in Appendix C.

Overall, I am very happy with draft and did not spot any big issues. In
particular, I did not find anything that you had missed or incorrectly copied.
I did have a couple of comments, however:

Section 5.12 seems to have text that relates to pre-RFC5680 situation:

   The consultations are permitted to include names of nominees, if all
   parties to the consultation agree to observe the same confidentiality
   rules as the nominating committee itself.

Shouldn’t this be changed? Or am I missing something?

Section 3, item 3:

   One-half of each of the then current IESG and IAB positions is
   selected to be reviewed each year.

Strictly speaking, exactly half of the IESG is never selected, with 15 members.
Or at least I hope you are not selecting half of the chair every year :-) You
do note the odd number of members exception later in the text, but it still
felt weird. I’d just say “approximately half” consistently under this item.
There is a similar occurrence under the next item as well.

Finally, I do think having one source for the most recent version of RFC 3777
and its updates is very useful. I’d like to encourage reviews of this draft, as
we do want to make sure all the details are right.

Jari