RE: Facts and draft-state information (was Re: Protocol Action: 'Case-Sensitive String Support in ABNF' to Proposed Standard (draft-kyzivat-case-sensitive-abnf-02.txt)

2014-10-07 05:06:44
Instead of saying "You are doing something wrong" you might get more help and
clarity by saying "I do not understand how this works."

There are three fields you are talking about.

IETF State shows the state of the document before publication is requested.
Maybe individuals and WG chairs could be more rigorous about updating this
field, however, once publication is requested the field becomes obsolete and we
move to...

IESG State shows the state of the document as it is evaluated by the IESG prior
to publication as an RFC.

Consensus only appears as a field once a document is being processed by the
IESG. It is used to communicate with the RFC Editor to help them understand
which of the IAB's approved boilerplate paragraphs to include in the final RFC.

In addition, you appear to believe that an individual I-D advanced by AD
sponsorship cannot be last called. You are wrong.

As a bottom line, you need to understand that the datatracker is a tool to aid
the processing of documents not a tool to record history. There are often
historic facts that can be gleaned from the datatracker, but that is just a
lucky happenstance.

Adrian