Re: Local Cloud Node

2014-10-09 08:41:21
On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 8:57 AM, Ray Bellis
<Ray(_dot_)Bellis(_at_)nominet(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk> wrote:

On 7 Oct 2014, at 19:38, Phillip Hallam-Baker
<phill(_at_)hallambaker(_dot_)com> wrote:

Right now I have a house with three Internet thermostats and six smoke
alarms, all of which have temperature sensors and occupancy sensors.
It would seem like a no brainer to connect these up in an intelligent
way so that lights get switched off when there is nobody in a room and
using the temperature in the rooms that are occupied to set the
furnace temperature rather than the ones that are not.

With the key part being that all this should work exactly the same even when
the household 'net connection is offline.

Precisely.

We had a storm come through and take out the electricity line and
almost took the primary Internet as well. Out here they supply
electricity from telephone poles! So when a tree brings down a line
there is live 240V supply.

It would of course be a bad thing if taking out the Internet shut the
house down.