Re: Media type for PGP message?

2014-10-14 11:33:03
On Tue 14/Oct/2014 00:55:40 +0200 Tim Bray wrote:

Ned, I think that what you’re arguing is that naked ASCII-armored
messages shouldn’t be used; instead use RFC3156 multipart.  Except
for, if we can have a media-type for the naked kind, we can integrate
this stuff between multiple textually-oriented messaging apps
immediately, right now, no waiting. Waiting for the implementors of
all these apps to learn the virtues of multipart and then implement is
unattractive, when there’s an alternative we could use right now.

Among the "virtues of multipart", one is to be content-agnostic, so
that it is not necessarily text what gets delivered upon decription/
verification.  Another one is to be wrappable in turn, allowing
possible misinterpretations as unsigned footers are appended to signed
stuff.

Would it be worth having a generic template for generating media types
for simplified containers which have a single leaf of a given type?

For example, both article.txt.gz and signed_picture.png.asc look like
monopart something.  Would it be enough to say "text+gzip" and
"image+pgp-signature" for monopart subtypes?

Just wondering
Ale