Re: "Jabber Scribe" howto

2014-10-16 18:20:00
Melinda Shore <melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
On 10/16/14 1:03 PM, Warren Kumari wrote:

Attending remotely is hard enough without having to wait for the queue
to drain, by which time your comment has already been made, or is no
longer relevant or similar...

"Might already have been made" strikes me as a poor reason to jump the
queue.

   I think Warren meant that the jabber scribe shouldn't have to wait
in line -- that a remote participant's place in line should be set
when the "MIC:" comment comes on jabber, without the jabber scribe
having to leave his/her seat.

   Jabber scribing is hard enough when you're sitting; and must suffer
while you stand in line. (Also, it's even harder to read name-tags
while standing _behind_ the person at the mike.)

   There's a balancing act here: how do we trust a jabber scribe to
estimate the correct place-in-line for the remote participant?

   IMHO, the right solution would involve making a separate mike
available to the jabber scribe, and having the meeting chair tell
the jabber scribe when to use it.

   (YMMV, I suppose...)

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>