Re: "Jabber Scribe" howto

2014-10-16 02:45:25
On 10/15/2014 04:15 AM, Peter Saint-Andre - &yet wrote:
FYI, today I published an I-D that provides a few suggestions for
fulfilling the role of a "Jabber Scribe" during IETF meetings:

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-saintandre-chatroom-relay/

Feedback is welcome. (Please send it to me directly or cc me, since I am
not subscribed to the ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org list.)

Oh nice!

I've jabber-scribed a number of times, a few suggestions, no
requirements for the scribe but things that tend to make the process easier:

- as a scribe you may not know all people that step up to the mic, this
is not a big problem but it helps if you are clear about it, so
signaling you don't know or are not sure gives other people in the
jabber room a chance to fill in the name. I tend to use (?) behind a
name if i'm not sure and use (??) as the whole 'name' if I don't know at
all. Doesn't matter what method is used as long as it's clear. Most
importantly for 'new' scribes: it should be clear that you do not need
to know everybody by name.

- there usually is a lot of side-chat in the jabber room (i tend to do
that a lot as well), and most of it does not necessarily needs to find
its way back into the real room. As a scribe it helps to be very clear
in advance on how to signal to you that someone wants something relayed
to the mic; so ask people to put MIC: or something similar in front of
messages they want relayed.

Jelte