Re: "Jabber Scribe" howto

2014-10-16 19:27:09
On Thursday, October 16, 2014, Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

On 10/16/14 1:03 PM, Warren Kumari wrote:
Attending remotely is hard enough without having to wait for the queue
to drain, by which time your comment has already been made, or is no
longer relevant or similar...

"Might already have been made" strikes me as a poor reason to jump the
queue.  The relevance question would be the same if someone is there
in person or not.

Nope -- if you watch the mic queue, folk in line change what they are going
to say (including simply sitting down) as folk in front of them in the line
make thier points.

It gets annoying if you are remote and send "MIC: I agree with everything
Mark said", and then the 12 folk in front of your comment all point out the
blindingly obvious fault in Mark's comment" - in person your can simply
slink back to your seat, remote you have to send "MIC: Abort! Abort!!! Run
away!!!!" -- ok, more seriously, if the previous 12!folk have all said
variations of "Jah, Mark is right, we need to do X, then Y, then Z" the
remote person might not want to waste WG time with his comment that Mark is
right, and that x, y and z are in fact what is needed, and that they should
happen in that order, etc.

I also think that working remotely is hard enough (listening to the
mumbles, guessing who is at the Mic (because they forgot to say thier name
*again*), etc, summarizing your comments into something complete and
coherent (there is no real back and forth), etc that remote folk get
special handling...

Of course, one clever monkey at one of my WGs sat in the back of the room
and "jumped the queue" by pretending to be remote...  :-)

There's a sort of standard anecdote in library
public services about someone waiting in line for the reference
librarian, losing patience, calling the reference desk on his mobile,
and getting immediate service.  It may be better to ask if anybody has
anything to add before moving on to the next topic.

But, I agree that this is an extremely useful draft.  It may or
may not be better for the chairs' wiki but either way it's a huge
service.

Melinda

--
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.