Re: Last Call: <draft-nottingham-safe-hint-05.txt> (The "safe" HTTP Preference) to Proposed Standard

2014-10-27 22:19:34
On 28 October 2014 12:21, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

On 10/27/2014 7:19 PM, Matthew Kerwin wrote:
    So there is no model for communicating back to the browser that
content
    is safe or not, nevermind for communicating up to the user.

Actually, there's Preference-Applied. I don't recall seeing that
forbidden by this draft, and it's a "MAY send" in RFC 7240. That said,
it would still be a bit silly for a browser to add UI to advertise the
presence of the header.

Forgive me, but:  THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS DRAFT.

My comments concerned only this draft.

​It's a normative reference. While I support the draft, I'm still willing
to play​ devil's advocate here. Brian has managed to point out that, today,
there's no metadata or side-channel communication from server to browser
that suggests that the content is in anyway "safe", but by standardising
Prefer:safe, we introduce Preference-Applied:safe, which allows servers to
"lie" in metadata as well as in data.

Whether or how much of a lie it is depends on the interpretation of
Preference-Applied:safe

As I said earlier, I don't believe it's an issue, but it's still a new
thing, introduced by this draft. It's right for us to address it, even if
just to say it's not an issue.

--
  Matthew Kerwin
  http://matthew.kerwin.net.au/