Re: Last Call: <draft-nottingham-safe-hint-05.txt> (The "safe" HTTP Preference) to Proposed Standard

2014-10-27 20:26:17
On 28/10/2014 13:49, John Levine wrote:
No. I mean that a badly motivated web site can pretend to offer safe material
using this but actually offer objectionable material (for whatever definition
of safe or objectionable you care to adopt). For example a site being used
to "groom" innocent victims could pretend that all its content was safe.
This would actually make the site much more dangerous than before, because
of the illusion of safety.

How does this differ from the current situtation?  Any site can show
logos that say "100% family friendly", and have a safe mode flag you
can toggle in your browser.

Yes, of course, but now they could automatically persuade a
browser itself that they conform to the IETF RFC7xxx standard
for safe browsing. Maybe the browser could display a little
"figleaf" icon just like the little "padlock" icon.

I'm going to shut up now because I've made my point as clearly
as I can.

   Brian