Re: Last Call: <draft-nottingham-safe-hint-05.txt> (The "safe" HTTP Preference) to Proposed Standard

2014-10-23 19:36:44
SM wrote:

 From Section 1:

   'That said, the intent of "safe" is to allow end users (or those
    acting on their behalf) to express a desire to avoid content that is
    considered "objectionable" within the cultural context of that site;
    usually (but not always) content that is unsuitable for minors.'

I did not understand the meaning of "cultural context of that site"
in the above.  Does it mean that content unsuitable for minors in one
country may be deemed suitable in another country?

Does cultural context mean that a site that is considered as
appropriate in, for example, Canada would not be considered as
appropriate in the Norway?

Pretty much. Really, it means the user base of the site; it's up to the site
operators to determine what that is.

 From Section 2:

   "Origin servers that utilize the "safe" preference SHOULD document
    that they do so, along with the criteria that they use to denote
    objectionable content."

 From https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/174084?hl=en

   "While it's not 100 percent accurate, we use community flagging,
    age-restrictions, and other signals to identify and filter out
    inappropriate content."

The criteria mentioned above might have to be clarified.

Yes.

 From https://help.pinterest.com/en/articles/safe-mode

   "Safe mode prevents any changes to your account until you reset
    your password."

"Safe mode" means something else on that site.

Indeed. I suspect any English name we choose will have conflicts. I don't see a
huge problem here, because the UX for setting this mode and that of the site
are separate; the site can disambiguate if it both honours the flag and has
another local meaning (such as pinterest appears to).

The site at https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/minors could be
encouraged to implement this proposal.

Sure.

Minors are ingenious.  It is simply a matter of time for them to
figure out how to bypass the mechanism proposed by this draft

Indeed; I have two of them myself. As in security, just because things aren't
perfect, it doesn't follow that we don't try.

Thanks,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/