Re: Last Call: <draft-nottingham-safe-hint-05.txt> (The "safe" HTTP Preference) to Proposed Standard

2014-10-27 17:55:18

On 28/10/2014 06:57, John Levine wrote:
As it is the meaning of a safe hint is to be intuited by the recipient.

Yes.  That's not a bug.

I don't understand the point of hypothetical arguments about whether a
safe flag might be useful.  We already know the answer: Many of the
largest web services in the world already have one.  Youtube puts
theirs right on the home page.

John, I don't think the argument is about whether it will work technically
or whether it will be used. The argument is about whether this is something
that the IETF should endorse as a Proposed Standard, which implies that
we think it will be effective.

I would have no objection to this being published as an Informational RFC,
to document existing practice. But to be completely clear, I was *not* being
sarcastic when I compared it to RFC 3514, because its intended semantics can
be ignored by any web site operator that chooses to do so.

   Brian

All this does is to provide a consistent interface to the existing
feature, and some operational flexibility to environments like schools
and corporate networks where the person sitting at the browser isn't
the one who sets the content policy.

R's,
John