Re: Last Call: <draft-nottingham-safe-hint-05.txt> (The "safe" HTTP Preference) to Proposed Standard

2014-11-18 11:10:02

On 11/14/14, 4:31 PM, John Levine wrote:
One could even imagine "Safe" becoming a default setting.

The last time we beat this horse, one of the scenarios was that a
browser in a public setting or an institution's proxy server might
set it on.

Remember that these setups are already heavily filtered, so the
alternative to "safe" content from a site is not all content, it's
no content at all.

Hmmm, perhaps my experience with filtering technologies is different
from yours, but they have more nobs than just domain blocking.

Part of the argument we are making (sorry if it was unclear) and that
Yoav has spent a few messages on this thread trying to get across is
that it's critical that there be a common understanding of what "safe"
means for this to be useful to parents, guardians, or other folks that
may want to interact with the internet in a "safe" manner. Each of the
sites that have implemented this have different interpretations of the
content filtering they do upon receipt of this flag and we can't count
on browsers to be able to mediate that knowledge without a richer
standard (and likely some interactivity in the technical expression of
this preference, which if you follow DNT at W3C (or any other
interactive granular content negotiations a la PICS) is a bear).

best, Joe

- --
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist
Center for Democracy & Technology
1634 I ST NW STE 1100
Washington DC 20006-4011
(p) 202-407-8825
(f) 202-637-0968
joe(_at_)cdt(_dot_)org
PGP: https://josephhall.org/gpg-key
fingerprint: 3CA2 8D7B 9F6D DBD3 4B10  1607 5F86 6987 40A9 A871