Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg-response-06.txt> (Draft Response to the Internet Coordination Group Request for Proposals on the IANA protocol parameters registries) to Informational RFC

2014-12-03 07:21:54
John, thank you for the feedback!

At the top of page 8, it refers to disputes about policy.  To me the
question is ambiguous: does it mean disputes within the IETF, or
disputes between the IETF and IANA, e.g., "we can't implement that"?
As far as I know, there's never been a significant policy dispute with
IANA, so you might as well say so for anyone who was wondering about
that question.

Thanks for pointing this out. The text refers to policy within IETF and
disputes within IETF. Perhaps that could be clarified. Eliot?

(Given the roles for the different parties, there should really not be policy
disputes between IETF and IANA. However, there are concerns of implementation,
and occasionally there are question marks on whether the specified policy is
implementable, or implementable at a reasonable effort. Consider a hypothetical
registry that would increase data and workload multifold; IANA would be right
to question such changes, particularly if those were not understood at the time
of discussion the said policy. Nevertheless, such concerns should be fed into
to the usual IESG approval, IAB oversight, etc. processes, and resolved per
community consensus. FYI - minor issues with policies are discovered by IANA
almost daily, and those concerns are fed to the processes and resolved. Most of
this is just mistakes and unclear instructions in RFCs-to-be.)

Following that, there is a discussion of all the stuff we don't want
to change, all of which is fine.  But it doesn't say other than sort
of implicitly in #3 on page 13 that the IETF needs a binding agreement
with the IANA operator that has protections for the IETF community
that are substantially the same as those in the MOU in RFC 2860.  It
really needs to say that explicitly.

This was debated substantially in the working group.

That is the main thing to observe. The topic has gotten a lot of attention
during WG discussion, and a particular outcome emerged, and I believe the draft
reflects that.

Jari