Re: Last Call: RFC 6346 successful: moving to Proposed Standard

2014-12-15 17:25:32

In message <20141215220815(_dot_)GS3371(_at_)shrubbery(_dot_)net>, heasley
writes:
Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 05:15:33PM +1100, Mark Andrews:
Much
of it has to be replaced with newer h/w for v6 support or support folks
have to visit each site to perform upgrades (spendy).  Many core devices
still have partial or missing support.  Some protocols still lack v6
support.  Multihoming is looking rather ugly for small networks (like
those with just 1 v4 /24, thus need less than a v6/48).  usw.

I saw the same excuses being handed out a decade ago.  If you have
equipment that needs to be replace now it means you failed to plan.

You may be over-estimating the margins on home internet access and under-
estimating the cost to upgrade every household (whether the ISP provides
the modem or [worse] the end-user).  thats just one piece of the puzzle.

Windows XP shipped with IPv6 support in 2001 and it was not the
first box to ship with IPv6.  It is now the end of 2014.

If a consumer device does not support IPv6 as well as IPv4 it should
be sent back to the manufacture / supplier as "not fit for purpose"
and a full refund should be requested.  It shouldn't cost the
consumer anything other than some time to get their devices fixed.

NAT and CIDR bought manufactures plenty time to add IPv6 support
to their products.  If they failed to use that time wisely they can
pay the price.

Additionally even if the ISP makes the last mile IPv6 only that
does not mean the home has to be IPv6 only.  There are a whole raft
of technologies to deliver IPv4 over IPv6 some of which a ISP could
out source to third party providers.

I've got 15 year old equipment running IPv6.  I've got lots of IPv6
equipment that has been end-of-lifed by the manufacturer.  Windows
XP supported IPv6 and that was releases in 2001.  I've been running
IPv6 at home for over a decade now.  I was adding IPv6 to the
products we ship ~16 years ago now and it has basically remained
unchanged since then.

If your consumer device does not support IPv6 don't blame the IETF.
Blame the manufacturer.

You can not compare a PC where things can be reasonably done in s/w and
that software is easily upgraded to a simple modem at an end-user location
or to head-end h/w that has to do forwarding in ASICs to deliver the b/w
expected.  These may adapt more slowly and often do not at all, requiring
replacement.

ISP's have had 15+ years lead time to upgrade head end gear /
routers.  It is not like they didn't know a problem was coming all
those years ago.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org