Re: Last Call: RFC 6346 successful: moving to Proposed Standard

2014-12-12 00:16:05

In message <20141212051204(_dot_)GG39631(_at_)shrubbery(_dot_)net>, heasley
writes:
Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 02:45:00PM +1100, Mark Andrews:
Because most of the world has sat on its collective backsides until
it was too late to do a nice orderly dual stack deployment model
without having to share IPv4 addresses between customers.   Now
many ISP's are just trying to keep IPv4 on life support long enough
to move everybody to IPv6.

yawn.  Much of the end-user equipment still does not support v6.

When was the last time you could actually buy a tablet, laptop,
desktop, cell phone that didn't support IPv6?  You can get printers
that support IPv6.  You can get CPE devices that support IPv6.
Games consoles support IPv6.  Those that don't can be upgraded
over the net.

I'm not sure where TV's are at but the hardware supports IPv6 and
just yesterday the TV asked my wife whether to download a new version
of the software and this is a second hand TV.  At $0 I wasn't going
to worry if it supports IPv6.  The dogs pulled the old one over
smashing the LCD screen.  Just had to find the right remote to press
select.  There is no reason the manufacturer couldn't ship a update
that supports IPv6.

Similarly for fridges.

Much
of it has to be replaced with newer h/w for v6 support or support folks
have to visit each site to perform upgrades (spendy).  Many core devices
still have partial or missing support.  Some protocols still lack v6
support.  Multihoming is looking rather ugly for small networks (like
those with just 1 v4 /24, thus need less than a v6/48).  usw.

I saw the same excuses being handed out a decade ago.  If you have
equipment that needs to be replace now it means you failed to plan.

How much quicker do folks think implementation would have been by vendors,
then adoption by users, had the ietf not felt obligated to rearchitect v4?
vs. just expand the address space and ship it, which is the only area where
v6 appears to shine anyway.  [yes, I am ignoring the need for transition
mechanisms]

I've got 15 year old equipment running IPv6.  I've got lots of IPv6
equipment that has been end-of-lifed by the manufacturer.  Windows
XP supported IPv6 and that was releases in 2001.  I've been running
IPv6 at home for over a decade now.  I was adding IPv6 to the
products we ship ~16 years ago now and it has basically remained
unchanged since then.

If your consumer device does not support IPv6 don't blame the IETF.
Blame the manufacturer.

I don't know anyone enchanted by v6.
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org