Re: Last Call: RFC 6346 successful: moving to Proposed Standard

2014-12-10 17:19:19
On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Ted Lemon
<Ted(_dot_)Lemon(_at_)nominum(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Dec 10, 2014, at 3:07 PM, Lee Howard <Lee(_at_)asgard(_dot_)org> wrote:
My opinion on this Last Call: it's about IPv4, and I don't care about
IPv4
anymore. We shouldn't be bothering with it in the IETF.

This is why I was so surprised by the controversy.   Sigh

Unfortunately it seems that a bunch of folk early on decided that the best
way to motivate the transition from IPv4 to IPv6 was to make IPv6 'better'
and to sabotage any attempts to mitigate the consequences of IPv4 shortage.

So we had the campaign against NAT, even though it was obviously benefiting
people economically. With 80 nodes on my internal net, I would be paying
several thousand dollars a year to have static IPs for each (not to mention
depriving others of Internet access). In fact my ISP now requires me to run
NAT.

In hindsight 32 bits was exactly the wrong size. If IPv4 had been 16 bits
we would have run out of address space long, long ago when the cost of
transition was not so prohibitive - there would only be 65K nodes to
change(!).

The way to achieve transition is to do the exact opposite of the old
strategy. Instead of making IPv6 different, we have to make it exactly the
same so that the transition cost is minimal.