Re: RFC 20 status change last call: References to appendices

2015-01-02 07:21:08
On 2014-12-31 21:38, Elwyn Davies wrote:
Hi.

There are a number of references to "appendices" in this document  -
Section 4.2 (footnotes 2 and 3) and Section 6.5, but the version of RFC
20 available online at http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc20.txt does not
have any appendices.

It is possible that this is because the appendices were not reproduced
when the document was put into machine readable form in 1999.  After
some research, I suspect that in fact the references are to the
appendices of the American National Standard (ANSI) X3.4-1968 - the
references in the Section 4.2 footnotes to Appendices A5.2 and B4 almost
certainly are.  I was unable to access a copy of the original 1968
version of ANSI X3.4 (it appears that there are copies in the Library of
Congress and the library at the University of Wisconsin but it's a long
walk ;-) ). However, I found a facsimile of the 1986 version.  It is
clear that Appendices A5.2 and B5 (as opposed to B4) contain relevant
material (the 1977 update was apparently a very minor affair).

If indeed the second case is correct and the RFC document never had any
appendices, I suggest that an addition is made to the colophon to point
out where the appendices can be found, that is ANSI X3.4-1968.  This
doesn't quite cover the wording in Section 6.5 - are we allowed to alter
this to point to the appendices of   ANSI X3.4-1968?

If the original of RFC 20 did indeed contain these appendices, fixing
the issue is a bit more tedious.

Happy New Year,
Elwyn

As attractive it might be to re-classify RFC 20, maybe it's better to actually work on a rfc20bis?

Best regards, Julian