Re: i18n requirements (was: Re: NF* (Re: PKCS#11 URI slot attributes & last call))

2015-01-02 08:31:10

--On Friday, 02 January, 2015 07:57 +0100 Patrik Fältström
<paf(_at_)frobbit(_dot_)se> wrote:

For the record, I like what is suggested the below.

Wfm, but please note the other comments in my prior note.  To
summarize, normalization is not the only issue.  Even for some
normalization cases, NFC is not the cure.  For example, NFKC is
needed to rationalize characters of various widths but causes
problems elsewhere.  So, I would suggest some additional words
that say, more or less, that, until PKCS#11 is revised to be
clear about how to handle characters outside the ASCII
repertoire, those who discover a need to use such characters
should be cautious, conservative, and expend extra effort to be
sure they know what they are doing and that failure to do so
will create both operational and security risks.

I think we could use some text like this:

  PKCS#11 does not specify a canonical from for UTF-8 string
  slots in the API.  This presents the usual false negative
  and false positive (aliasing) concerns that arise when
  dealing with unnormalized strings.  Because all PKCS#11