Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom ELEGIBILITY

2015-01-10 09:59:42

Stephen Farrell <stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie> wrote:
    > On 09/01/15 19:03, Michael Richardson wrote:
    >> So I would keep the 3/5 in-person meetings to *become* nomcom
    >> eligible.
    >>
    >> Once eligible, the rules for remaining eligible would be different.

    > I like that.

    > Given that remote participation is likely to continue changing and
    > hopefully improving in the coming years, if we do go down this road I
    > think it'd be good to figure some way to allow the rules for continued
    > eligibility to be changed without having to update the BCP. That could
    > be a task given to the IESG or someone other I* group or the current
    > nomcom could set the rule for the next. I don't care which of those,
    > but maybe the last would be best, as nomcom members may know best
    > what's needed, (though some form of appeal against a nomcom getting
    > themselves all back next year would be needed:-)

That's why I wrote "contribution" --- we could imagine some system of points,
with the datatracker being the scoreboard, but I'm not clear that we need an
particularly complex system or overly restrictive system.

    > Also, if we go there then I'd prefer that we apply that new rule
    > retrospectively as well so folks who were ever nomcom eligible could
    > "re-establish" that via participation any time.  (Unless that caused
    > some tooling problem in checking eligibility after someone volunteers.)

Perhaps one can become ineligible without loosing eligibility for a period
of time... we could have a long integration time...

But, if one totally looses eligibility, then the reason why I think one has
to do more attendance in person is because things *do* change over
time. 3-step vs 2-step.  Creation of IAOC.  Use of jabber+streamed mp3 vs
meetecho vs using multicast and vat.  The rise of webrtc... How much of this
matters to the nomcom, is unclear; but one definitely gets more
cross-polination by being in the hallway, than by being in the hallway chat.

]     mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on
rails    [