Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom ELEGIBILITY

2015-01-10 14:39:20
On 1/9/2015 3:00 PM, Russ Housley wrote:
There was a long discussion of Day Passes in 2010, and it lead to this IESG
statement:
In my view, this was the right decision.

Minor point:

     The IESG is making "decisions" about IETF qualifications for
nomcom?  What hasn't the IESG acquired IETF rough consensus approval for
this?

Major point:

     What IETF-specific knowledge and skills do we expect from Nomcom
members?  How do the current selection criteria increase the likelihood
of meeting that expectation?  Is that increase in likelihood large or small?

     In reality, the basic criterion we currently have often gives us
one or more members with no significant knowledge of IETF management or
process issues.  Periodically, the criterion gives of a nearly complete
slate of such well-intentioned, but naive, voting members.

     If we care about having a slate of voting nomcom members who have
practical knowledge of IETF operation, we need to require that at least
some of Nomcom's voting members have significant, hands-on experience
with important parts of that operations.

    In the current IETF, a filter based solely on meeting attendance
guarantees a significant likelihood of voting members will little-to-no
knowledge of IETF operation.

d/
--
Dave Crocker