Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom ELEGIBILITY

2015-01-14 15:17:59
I think the whole notion of qualification is being considered too narrowly.
Michael's original proposal was a good one: open up more participation.

Being on nomcon is in itself a far bigger time sink/commitment than jabber
scribing. It is inconceivable to me that anyone would sign up unless they
were already committed unless the barrier to entry was really low and
ballot stuffing a possibility.

From what Michael says of the system it appears to me that we could fairly
easily relax the criteria to be 3 out of the last 5, 4 out of the last 7, 5
out of the last 9, etc. which converges on 50%.

The advantage to this approach is that it would be fairly straightforward
to vet while keeping the criteria suggested by Michael. If you were
eligible in 2014 and go to one meeting in 2015 you will probably be
eligible in 2015.

While this does have the odditiy that someone who has attended every
meeting for the past ten years would be eligible for the next ten years
without attending another meeting, that probably does not matter very much
because I really don't think anyone in that situation is likely to
volunteer for Nomcon unless the circumstances are exceptional (e.g. ITU
takeover bid).

I would further suggest that Dave Crocker has raised a rather ugly problem
in that if the IESG has the power to change Nomcon eligibility rules it
leaves us open to a possible takeover as an attacker only needs to subvert
two nomcons in succession.

I would suggest therefore that any changes to the eligibility rules be
subject to ratification by a two thirds majority of those qualified for
participation under the old rules.

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Nico Williams
<nico(_at_)cryptonector(_dot_)com>
wrote:

In what way does scribing help someone be an appropriate choice to be
on the NOMCOM?

In my experience scribing makes it really difficult to participate in
any other way (e.g., in a discussion) for the duration of the scribing
duties.  Not exactly something that adds value to the scriber.

Anyone who can type fast and who can hear well can scribe, but this
says nothing about their knowledge of process, people, issues...  How
much one has scribed seems like a useless metric to me.

Nico