Re: Last Call: <draft-faltstrom-uri-10.txt> (The Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) DNS Resource Record) to Proposed Standard

2015-01-28 01:13:57
IESG / Patrik,

First of all - I think it's interesting to carry URIs in DNS. However, I have a
few concerns about the document that I'd like to work through.

## The ENUM service registry

The document effectively gives a "type" for the URI by associating a value from
the ENUM service registry. While that makes sense from the standpoint of ENUM,
if this mechanism is truly generic to *all* URIs, it seems to me that it'd be
much more sensible to use the typing system already in place for URIs -- link
relations <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988>.

As it is, I think this proposal is going to surprise a lot of people very
unpleasantly, when they find that URIs have effectively become subservient to
ENUM, at least within the confines of DNS.

This could be addressed by either using link relations (although I realise that
would require a fair amount of work), or by renaming the RR to "ENUM_URI" or
similar, along with appropriate changes in the text (i.e., this is a record
specific to ENUM, not generic to all URIs in DNS).

## The "home page" example

Section 6 uses a "home page" lookup as the only example application for this
RR. To my knowledge, no Web browser does this or is considering doing so, and
moreover, pretty much any Web stack person would be extremely surprised by both
this.

Do you have any implementations of this use case, or prospect for them? Have
you talked to Web security folks about the implications of doing so?

## Alternative approaches

In Appendix A (D), the original allocation request says:

"""
There is no easy way to get from a domain name to a URI (or IRI).
"""

That's not actually true any more; we now have Well-Known URIs
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5785>, which allows an application to define
how to get a URI from a bare hostname. While it's true that it's currently a
little more expensive than DNS (requiring a TCP connection for the time being),
we do have substantial deployment experience with it, and it seems to be
operationally much simpler, as compared to adding a new DNS record.

Are there use cases where .well-known isn't workable, as compared to this RR?

Cheers,

On 28 Jan 2015, at 9:38 am, The IESG <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>