Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom

2015-02-11 01:40:30
Cycling back around since the threads died off:

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Allison Mankin
<allison(_dot_)mankin(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

3. A bit fuzzier, but I think important, would be to include some guiding
language for Nomcoms about their task as hiring managers recruiting and
selecting leadership for the IETF.  I found it very important to advise my
Nomcom to use "slow thinking"  (in Kahneman's sense) and make sure to
really digest the resumes, questionnaires and feedback, because the pace of
the Nomcom and human nature tend to result in "fast" or intuitive dismissal
of some really good candidates based on e.g. their having less fame.
Similarly, without constraining the exact procedures, it is important to
explicitly find ways to make interviews consistent across candidates and to
have enough of a panel of interviewers.  The pace and stress of scheduling
interviews means it's important to put these goals front and center,
because they are actually quite challenging to accomplish.

I can propose some text for these.

Hi Allison,

I think I've nailed down the other two, but I would really like some text
for this last one.  You probably have a much better idea of what you'd like
to see here than I do.

I may post -02 tonight so people can see the other proposed changes.  If I
do that, I can catch your text in -03.

-MSK