Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom

2015-02-11 14:45:08
A couple of things.

The nomcom is not either individually nor collectively the "hiring manager" for
the IETF.  It neither makes the final decision (that's the CB's call), nor does
it direct the work of the "hired" entity.

The Nomcom is and always has been a "search committee" and as such it gathers
and winnows candidates before proposing them for confirmation.  Indeed, there
is no bar to the Nomcom proposing multiple candidates for a position and
allowing the CB to choose its preference - that hasn't actually been done, but
its not barred.

The interview should be used to fill in details not clear from the
questionnaire, so matters of fairness should be addressed when crafting the
questions, not later when you get around to talking with the candidate.
Generally, the interview should be used to evaluate the BS factor of the
answers from the questionnaire and not delve into new fields or hobby horses of
the interviewers.

The digression to "thinking slow" is interesting, but somewhat trendy.  Next
year there will be another interview and decision method that will be trendy
and its unclear why this "thinking slow" would be a better choice than next
year's flavor and why it should be immortalized in the next version of 3777.  I
would instead focus on the virtues of clarity, completeness and fairness and
leave the rest of it to the best abilities of the chosen Nomcom.  In any event,
attempting to "program" the Nomcom members to a specific behavior pattern will
be unsuccessful.

Allison - your desire to have 3+ interviewers per interviewee is going to
contribute to slowing down the process even more.  At this point I see us
starting to try and begin the process a full two years before confirmation.
(Yup - hyperbole, but seriously, we're spending WAY too much calendar time from
first indication of candidacy to selection).

Mike