Re: Remote participation fees

2015-02-25 07:46:06
Hi,

On 15 Feb 2015, at 16:19, James Gannon <james(_at_)cyberinvasion(_dot_)net>
wrote:

Speaking purely about the remote participation aspect, I think one of the
issues is that yes there are full featured solutions out there (Adobe Connect
for example as used in ICANN) but they can be complex and not cheap.
The decision would need to be made whether remote participation is of a high
enough priority to IETF to go after a full featured solution first, before
then considering means of funding it. As Stephen says I think if remote
participation fees are introduced without the remote experience to match it
would not be a success.

So I don’t think there’s a one size fits all requirement here.

Who might want to participate remotely? The list may include:

a) people who have followed a mail list for a while and want to casually join a
specific WG session at a meeting to get a feel for what a session is like
For this, streamed audio is probably fine, with some form of chatroom.
If a question is to be asked, it might be nice to be able to identify the
person asking.

b) people who are very active in a WG, but can’t get to a given meeting, but
needs high quality participation (along the lines Randy described earlier)
Here the ability to see slides, and perhaps to present, is likely to be needed.
Reliable audio is more important.

c) perhaps a WG chair who can’t make a meeting, but would be willing
timezone-permitting to chair remotely.
Unless the solution for this is very good, we would want at least one chair
present in person (because of the various administravia to deal with)
Needs are similar to (b), except a way to chat discretely with the co-chair
would certainly be useful, and to see the room, and maybe to hear hums.

What other cases are there? How do we do a virtual Ted?

Then there’s the question of whether the participant is interested in just one
WG, and thus minimal attendance, or attendance for multiple WGs in the week.

Perhaps charging is introduced for higher quality access (cases b, c), while
casual ‘best effort’ remote participation is kept open and free (case a).

BTW a focus on the meeting room experience misses out on a big piece of value
in attending - the corridor and bar room discussions.

Tim