Re: Remote participation fees [Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom ELEGIBILITY]

2015-02-15 09:46:35

Stephen Farrell <stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie> wrote:
    > On 14/02/15 18:21, Mary Barnes wrote:
    >> And, actually this is already happening with Meetecho.

    > I think we ought forget about charging for remote attendance until
    > remote attendance is much better. Remotely attending IETF-91 via
    > meetecho was a good bit better than I expected but is nowhere near the
    > point where we could charge. Let's make it work first, and then see how

I feel we need to split the difference.

a) we need registration for remote attendance first.  It can come with
   a variety of fee levels, including "buy 1 get 1 free" (if you paid for
in-person
   last time....).

b) the fee could initially be $20, and could increase as the technology gets
   better.

If we wait for the technology to get better (what exactly does that mean?),
there will be no clear incentive as to how to make it better, and no money to
actually make it better.

]     mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on
rails    [