Re: [Diversity] 'Paywall, ' IETF self-sufficiency, increasing participation (was Re: Remote participation fees)

2015-02-28 20:14:01
Andrew Sullivan <ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com> [2015-02-28 21:07:56 -0500]:
So, if you prefer to say that I'm still not acting "in my personal
capacity", very well; but I'd like to know what the difference is (in
operationalized terms, please).

As you seem to have noted, I believe funding to take part in IETF proceedings (and physical meetings) is the key.

Not because it "influences" the views you put forward at the IETF. (It may or may not do so.)

But because it enables you to participate more steadily in the IETF than someone who is not similarly funded. That ability to participate has all manners of implications, including the ability to be chair of WGs, etc.

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society