'Paywall, ' IETF self-sufficiency, increasing participation (was Re: Remote participation fees)

2015-02-25 08:11:28
Mea culpa!

My fault for not being articulate. I was responding to the discussion thread,
and happened to chose this one to staple the reply to. I in no way meant to
infer that Ted (or Dave or anyone else) was advocating that the IETF should be
excluding people. In this case, the impression (which Ted pointed out to me)
was that I was saying that he wanted to exclude people based on ability to pay.
Ted and I discussed this off-list, and we are in violent agreement. I did not
think he was advocating for that, and I do not want anyone to advocate for that.

Moving forward, what I was hoping to avoid was for people to think that because
the IETF conference fees defer the costs of operating the IETF (the meeting
itself, the secretariat, and a portion of the RFC Editor), that we have to try
to squeeze every penny from all sources. That is not necessarily a bad mindset
to have: we should be striving to be independent on the largesse of the
Internet Society and their contributors if we can manage it. That is not an
infinite pot of cash, and no one wants to be beholden to a single funding
source. However, what I wanted to get out to the community is the message that
the Internet Society believes deeply in expanding access to the IETF and the
IETF process. If charging for remote access inhibits participation (the
unfortunate ‘paywall’ comment), then I would have no problem at all suggesting
the IETF (IAOC in specific) ask the Internet Society to fund remote
participation. I think the Board (speaking as an individual, NOT in my role as!
  an Internet Society Trustee) would treat such a request sympathetically.

I can see this could be a dynamic situation. I can envision a time when we as
the IETF are truly successful and develop fantastic real-time communication
protocols that are easy to deploy, cost almost nothing, and are secure. At that
point, one would *hope* in-person IETF meetings become a relic of history.
Maybe we would meet once per year or every other year to reminisce about how
the only way to get work done was to spend thousands of dollars of cash per
year and an uncountable amount of cost for travel time to physically meet in
the same location. How 20th Century! At that point, I would expect surpluses
from meeting fees would be nonexistent, and we would need to figure alternate
means of funding. However, that day seems to be far enough away that charging
for remote participation should be a remote possibility for the foreseeable
future.

On Feb 24, 2015, at 9:24 PM, Ted Lemon