Re: Remote participation fees [Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom ELEGIBILITY]

2015-02-14 21:00:10
hi 5304,

The one thing I haven't heard raised is the risk of disengagement by
folks who only participate and contribute in particular working groups
and are not "IETFers" in the sense that many of you are.

you are replying to someone who goes to the meetings and hides in the
noc to avoid the social scene etc.  i go out to the very few wgs where i
have concerns; though have taken to just listening to the audio and
going to the wg if i really need to say something.  it's a form of
self-regulation.

real, N way (for N>1) [0], remote participation would do me just fine.

randy

---

[0] - we have all been here before -- crosby, stills, nash, and young

From: Randy Bush <randy(_at_)psg(_dot_)com>
Subject: Re: [vmeet] draft-ietf-genarea-rps-reqs comments
To: vmeet(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 01:36:35 +0900

putting my money where my mouth is ...

for personal and somewhat superstitious reasons, i do not go to meetings
in the southeastern united states.  so for atlanta, i would like
  o to be able to see and hear any of the wg/bof meetings and plenaries
  o when there are slides or movies, i want to be able to see them or
    even pull a pdf to view locally
  o i would like semi-pro video where i can see the speaker, floor
    speaker, etc.  merit used to do a quite good job of this for nanog
  o i would like to be able to make a presentation, with my face visible
    and show slides and hear and answer questions from the floor and
    other remote participants
  o i would like to be able to speak at the virtual floor mic and, if
    possible, have my face shown to the meeting room and to other remote
    folk

i do not want to constrain or over-specify how this works.  i.e. how the
speaking stone is handed around, ...  it's gonna be hard enough to do
without requiring 42 kinky sub-features and have know-it-all amateurs
micro-specifying it.

as much as possible the protocols and the software at the remote end
should be non-proprietary.  and it must run on unix, mac, linux, and
optionally ms-windows. :)

randy

ps: shoot the jabber/im as a formal channel.  it's fine for an informal
    ad hoc social s[n]ide channel