Re: [Diversity] 'Paywall, ' IETF self-sufficiency, increasing participation (was Re: Remote participation fees)

2015-03-01 20:04:01
On Mar 1, 2015, at 8:55 PM, joel jaeggli <joelja(_at_)bogus(_dot_)com> wrote:
You're gonna have to stop using my icescast server if you want to charge
money to access it remotely...

Seriously  though, any number of the components of remote participation
have been provided by volunteers or on a best effort basis even when the
service itself has been professionalized.

Sigh.

This is all very hypothetical.   The reason that the idea of charging for
remote participation came up is that if the service becomes good enough that
people stop coming to the meetings in large numbers, we might need to.   But if
we don't, that's great, and really the thing we should be focusing on is making
remote attendance that good, not charging for it.