Re: Unhelpful draft names

2015-03-11 03:46:06
Who is the owner of the draft the individual or the IETF? IMHO only the
owner has the right to make the name. The name may not be helpful to IETF
but is may be helpful for the owner. IMHO the problem of unhelpfulness is
because individual draft input should be distinguished per IETF Area and
not per draft-name.

So I suggest the IETF to fix the submission to ask the participant to
submit per Area and choose any name.

AB

On Monday, March 9, 2015, Brian E Carpenter
<brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Hi,

It's one of those three days in the year when we get hundreds of drafts
announced
in succession, which makes the job of deciding which drafts a person needs
read harder than ever.

I have no idea what draft-xmss-00.txt is about and have no plans to find
out. But it seems to me that we have a fairly strong convention that
non-WG drafts should be named something like
 draft-<author>-<generalTopic>-<specificTopic>
where the generalTopic is often a WG name, if there is a relevant WG.

Now I realise we don't want to be too rigid, e.g. the author component
is sometimes ymbk or farresnickel, but should we have a bit more
enforcement
in the tools, at least such that draft-oneWord-00 would not be acceptable?

   Brian