Re: As if you don't have enough to read..

2015-03-13 12:47:37
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman(_at_)meetinghouse(_dot_)net> wrote:
John Leslie wrote:
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman(_at_)meetinghouse(_dot_)net> wrote:

It's a mutually interconnected address space.
   No, it isn't...

I think we have to disagree on this.

   Fine. I promise not to use that term.

   (Actually, I'm nearing the point where I'll stop for a while to
keep my Narten score under control.)

Just like any telephone connected to the PSTN.

It's not remotely similar to a telephone connected to the PSTN.

It's connected to a network connected to another network connected
to yet another network (et cetera), none of which have any fixed
contractual interconnections. Paths through the network of networks
come and go (mostly) without any human intervention or even awareness.

   "Fixed contractual interconnections" was a bad way to say what I
meant--namely that a packet is contractually guaranteed some priority
if forwarded to a particular node named in the contract. My bad...

Have you actually looked at the internals of the PSTN, particularly
packetized underlying infrastructure, VoIP and all that?  Any long
distance phone call, particularly an international one, gets packetized,
and goes through lots of different networks.

   ...under ToS "guaranteeing" certain behavior...

As to contractual relationships - what do you call backbone peering?

   Secret contracts -- which agree to exchange routes and accept some
packets based on those routes.

The analogy is very direct.

   I think we'll disagree here, too.

I've certainly seen the term used interchangeably with IP address in
multiple contexts - mostly around DDoS attack on a particular "internet
endpoint" or another, and I seem to recall a draft MIB for "internet
endpoints" that essentially treated the term interchangeably with IP
addresses,

Can you give an example?

Google is your friend:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ops-endpoint-mib-00
and no less than Doug Comer uses the term in his classic
"Internetworking w/ TCP/IP"
https://books.google.com/books?id=yhwfAQAAIAAJ&q=%22internet+endpoint%22+%22IP+address%22&dq=%22internet+endpoint%22+%22IP+address%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=OhgDVaarH4qlNoKggfAH&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAQ

   Unless I've missed something, Comer talks of "Internet endpoint address"
rather than "Internet endpoint".

   (I do agree Comer is a satisfactory authority.)

(though he uses it in the context of a specific socket)

   A socket, in that context, _is_ a pair of addresses and other numbers
which "define" the socket.

[snip]

   (May I suggest private email before we introduce any more new terms?)

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>