Re: "Per Area" and "Per AD" review ballots?

2015-03-26 14:37:15
On 27/03/2015 07:12, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Mar 26, 2015, at 11:35 AM, Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
Is there a real problem here?

Speaking for myself, it would have been helpful to have had a clearer sense
of what to look at and what not to waste my time on early on.   I got a solid
reality check from Stewart Bryant about this midway through my first year,
but it took well into my second year to really figure out which drafts to
review closely and which to skim.   However, I think it's worth having ADs
skim drafts so that they can notice cross-area issues, and for that to work
they either have to be able to ballot, or else they have to use peer
pressure.   I think being able to ballot is probably better.

+1 to Ted. However, I have to say that a stint as a Gen-ART reviewer
before becoming an AD was very helpful to me, since I had already developed
a good sense of what to look for.

Also, please note that the ADs in an area can choose to operate as David
proposes already: the primary on a draft ballots YES or NO-OBJ, and the
partner follows with NO-OBJ. I suspect that is standard operating procedure
in some areas already. The partner AD will most likely pay more attention
if the first one ballots DISCUSS.

    Brian