Re: FTP Service Discontinuance Under Consideration; Input Requested

2015-04-06 10:22:40
Has FTP stopped working?  Is it time to deprecate FTP as an Internet Protocol?
Is it so costly to run an FTP service that it is cost prohibitive?

A core, perhaps the core of the IETF value has been in its open, freely
available standards,
available over a wide variety of transport options. Indeed this is a valuable
crosscheck against
tampering.  Too many copies exist.

Arguably some methods are better than others, those value propositions change
over time.

The recent zeal for “security” seems, to these jaded eyes, to be reactionary at
best.

"We cannot sprinkle magic security pixie dust over what you have built. It
cannot be secured at any price.
We have to get you to change the way you do security because the way you've
been doing it was asking for trouble.”

There is no good reason to shut this down.

/bill
PO Box 12317
Marina del Rey, CA 90295
310.322.8102

On 4April2015Saturday, at 6:12, ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com