Re: comments on newly generated html draft format and font sizes

2015-04-22 19:01:19
On 23 April 2015 at 00:54, Henrik Levkowetz <henrik(_at_)levkowetz(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Hi Paul,

​[snip]

and I hope you will consider following the HTML semantics more closely.

???  You obviously believe that a font size of '1em' or 'medium' is
semantically
more correct than '12pt'.  Can you back that up?  The CSS 2.1 specification
is very clear about the semantic meaning of point sizes, see Section 4.3.2
of
the CSS 2.1 specifcaiton.

​The spec defines the terms, but the guidance and "BCP" for web development
comes from elsewhere. A strong candidate for showing us "how to use the
standard" is MozDev:

"It is best to use values that are relative to the user's default font
size, and avoid absolute values such as lengths with units other than em or
ex."

 <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/font-size#Values>

Anecdotally, there is lots of similar guidance on the web, but personally I
like using MozDev as my primary source.

Can I also mention, to those discussing @media queries and (ad absurdum) a
font size for every possibly resolution: that's silly. Browser developers
are thinking of their users while developing their browsers, so those
browsers already come packaged with 1) a well thought-out default font size
for the context in which that browser is used, and 2) the ability for users
to override the defaults based on personal preference. We should trust the
browsers to handle rendering of fonts, we do not need to control every
pixel on the screen.

--
  Matthew Kerwin
  http://matthew.kerwin.net.au/