Re: Proposed Proposed Statement on e-mail encryption at the IETF

2015-06-02 09:29:22
Hi Russ,

On 2 Jun 2015, at 15:07, Russ Housley wrote:

Some mail lists are configures to add a suffix to the message.  Others, like
this one, do not.

Yep, I'm aware of why it happens. My point was more that there is at least the
potential for some work to be done on the IETF end, not just on the IETF
participant end, which suggests that some kind of decision from leadership
could be useful.

Adding a suffix changes the content, and that action is guaranteed to break a
signature.

Sure, unless the suffix is added in a separate, unsigned MIME section, which is
behaviour I have seen on some lists (my mail client shows me a signed section
in the mail, and gives me a warning that not all of the message is signed).

Joe